I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I also know that I am guilty of skipping it. Or I did, until I discovered how quick and easy smoothies are to make and drink in the morning. I had my favorites, but since starting the Digest Diet last week, I have a brand new favorite that keeps me full all morning and fill me with nutrients as well! I also add a teaspoon of chia seeds to the mix to get all the health benefits of Chia to my morning smoothie!
Why Chia? From Dole Nutrition Plus site:
In Every Serving of Chia:
- 2x more Omega-3 ALA than walnuts
- 2x more fiber than oatmeal
- 21% more fiber than flax
- 3x more calcium than cottage cheese
- 68% of the calcium in a glass of milk
- As much iron as spinach
- 79% of the protein in an egg
- 46% of the foliate in a glass of orange juice
Anything that is going to so easily help me meet all my nutritional needs is a huge WIN in my book!
So, back the the yummiest smoothie ever! I admit, I paused a bit when I heard that there was avocado in this smoothie- I usually use peanut butter as both a fat and a protein source, but after reading about Avocadoes health benefits as pretty much a super fruit, I decided to give it a try.
Here is the recipe I used and I want to note that I use Dole milled chia. It’s already finely ground and easy to add to a bunch of different things.
Best EVER breakfast smoothie that keeps you full all morning, but taste GREAT, too!
- 3/4 c nonfat yogurt
- 2 tbls light coconut milk
- 2 tbls water
- 3 tbls nonfat milk powder
- 1 banana, frozen (slice before freezing for easier blending)
- 1 tbls flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp ground chia seeds
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Drink immediately.
Inspired by The Digest Diet.