I was overrun with over ripe bananas! I had gotten a BUNCH bunch of bananas at the market on sale, and we didn’t eat them as quickly as I thought I would. I needed to use them up, and wanted to it to be in a healthy way. MUFFINS!
This is what came out of it! I made 3 batches- recipes makes 12 muffins- so i can wrap them and freeze them. 30 seconds in the microwave in the morning, and some yogurt, and that’s breakfast!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 c sugar (I sometimes use 1/4 white and 1/4 brown)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp ground chia (optional)
- 2 tsp portabello mushroom powder (optional)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 1/2 - 3 bananas)
- In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- IN a larger bowl, mix egg, milk and vanilla together. Add in oil, mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, stirring only until well blended. This is where you can add extras you may want, toasted nuts, chocolate chips, dried cherries, etc.
- Line a 12 c muffin pan with paper liners, then divide the batter equally among them. Bake at 375 for 20 -25 minutes minutes- of until a toothpick poked into a muffin comes out dry.
Cool on wire rack. You can wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Microwave for 30 seconds to thaw.
While there are many ways to use brown bananas- I have a browned butter banana Bundt cake cooling as I type- and a tray of bananas freezing for smoothies- what is your favorite way to use up bananas?