I hoe that everyone is lucky enough to have a friend like Maggie in their life. My friend Maggie is one of those people who make you feel better just by seeing her and saying “Hi!”. Maggie is one of the BEST cooks I know, and the last time I was sick she brought me over some of her “Magic Soup”- guaranteed to help me feel better. It was perfect, rich and chickeny and lemony and dilly and well, perfect. I’m sure it was all the extra love that was in it, as well.
Today I made my own “Magic Soup” . Maggie tempers some eggs in her soup for protein and strength, but I have issues with tempering eggs and end up with egg drop soup usually, so I cooked up some quinoa on the side and added a few spoonsful of quinoa to the bowl. I make a big batch and freeze some for easy defrosting for the next time I feel a cold brewing, or to drop off to a sick friend-paying it forward like Maggie!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 large bone in chicken breasts
- 32 ounces low sodium low fat chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 cup prepared quinoa
- Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- Brown the onion, carrot, and celery in the oil. until slightly wilted,
- Add the check breast,browning them slightly.
- Add chicken broth to cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low -simmer
- Maintain a simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken to a plate and once cool, remove skin and shred.
- Add shredded chicken, lemon juice and chopped dill to broth and vegetables.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper if desired.
- Serve over 3 tablespoons of cooked quinoa in a deep bowl.